Available at Eurostyle
- 1 head of pickled cabbage
- 1kg pork or beef mince (Combination or whichever is preferred)
- 250g dry speck, skin removed and diced finely
- 1 teaspoon of sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon of vegeta
- 500g shredded sauerkraut
- 1kg smoked pork ribs (smoked beef ribs are also suitable)
- 1 fant for cabbage rolls
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 2-3 cloves fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Roux (zaprška):
- 5 tablespoon oil, 3 tablespoon flour, 1 teaspoon paprika, water
- Take the whole pickled cabbage and gently remove the leaves, to avoid tearing them. With a sharp knife, cut down the stem of the leaf so that it is roughly even.
- Take a small frying pan and heat some oil on medium heat. Add the onions and once they are starting to brown, add the garlic, followed by the dry speck. Fry until the onions are nicely brown. Place mix in a bowl and allow to cool down to room temperature.
- Take a large mixing bowl and add the fresh mince, egg, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, one packet of fant for cabbage rolls (follow instructions) and mix well.
- Add the cooled down fried onion, garlic and speck to the mix and add the cup of uncooked rice. Mix well.
- Take one leaf of the pickled cabbage and spread it so that it is flat. Place one ball of compact meat mixture in the middle of the leaf. Roll the leaf into a rectangular shaped ball, tucking the cabbage leaf ends in to the ball. Repeat until no mixture or leaves are remaining. You should have approximately 15 cabbage rolls.
- Take a large pot and place a small amount of shredded sauerkraut at the bottom. Then place one spaced out row of cabbage rolls in the pot. Add a layer of smoked pork ribs and some more shredded sauerkraut. Repeat this process until all the cabbage rolls and smoked ribs have been placed in the pot. Fill the pot with water to cover, and add Vegeta and sweet paprika to taste.
- Cook for approximately 1-1.5 hours on low to medium heat. Allowing a gentle simmer.
- Roux: heat oil over medium-high heat. Add flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring briskly. Add paprika and water (about 300ml), mix until it becomes smooth. Pour mix over cabbage rolls and shake pot gently to spread evenly. Cook for another 5-10min.